Friday, March 20, 2009

Day one in Review

Day one was certainly a unusual experience. 


After getting my wristband I checked out several bands at the Radio Room Patio; which included What Laura Says. This Tempe band put on quite a good show and was definitely time well spent watching their set.  However, I quickly learned about the beauty of SXSW, which is all about discovering new music. You might not get to see all the bands you want to see, but in the process there is a plethora of new music at your disposal. So I took advantage of this new experience on day one and went where the night lead me. A good portion of the night I ended up at Paradise on 6th listening to some new music. After watching several new bands I decided to head over to Smokin Music to check out Billy Bob Thorton's new band. 

It was obvious the crowd was there for the celebrity and not the music. Billy Bob Thorton standed awkwardly on stage smoking cigarette after cigarette somehow knowing the music wasn't the pull. The band played well but the music in which they played was quite unimpressive. It was still entertaining to watch Billy Bob for ten minutes or so. And the band looked like they were having fun on stage, although I hope they didn't take themselves too seriously. 


Day one was quite a great experience overall, and I am starting to get a great feel for SXSW. There is music in literally every corner,park, parking lot and bar in the city. It is a glorious event for music fans and a site to see for all. 

More to come on day two.



How did you spend your first day?


No comments:

Post a Comment